Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging delivers education and presentations to aging services providers, community organizations, senior groups, employers and others throughout the seven-county metropolitan area.
Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter, “Aging News You Can Use”. Keep your organization up-to-date about informational presentations, health insurance counseling, Senior Surf Day classes, and other services and events.
To learn more about the activities and presentations on this page, or to request a presentation by our outreach team, contact: email@example.com.
- Senior Surf Day. We partner with metro area libraries, community centers and senior housing settings to offer basic computer and Internet training classes, known as Senior Surf Day. These free classes are for older adults who have little or no experience with computers.
- Event Exhibits. We exhibit at various aging-related settings and provide information on Area Agency on Aging services and other topics of interest to the specific audience.
- Networks and Collaborations. We engage with other aging services professionals to share information about ways older adults can live independently in t heir communities.
Our community presentations are generally provided at no charge and usually fit within a 30-90 minute time frame, including time for questions and answers.
- Senior LinkAge Line® – Who We Are and What We Do. Learn about this service delivered by MAAA in partnership with the Minnesota Board on Aging, and get an introduction to the MinnesotaHelp.info® website and database.
- Understanding Medicare – An Overview. Understand what’s covered by Medicare Parts A, B, C and D, as well as Medicare supplement options. We discuss Medicare enrollment, eligibility, and personal costs and the impact of health care reform.
- Medicare Part D – Open Enrollment and Extra Help. Recognize why it’s important to review your Medicare Prescription drug plan each year. We highlight how Part D works and explain Extra Help programs for people with lower incomes.
- Health Care Directives. Learn why end-of-life planning is important, how it works, tips for choosing a health care agent and areas to consider when completing a Minnesota Health Care Directive.
- Options and Resources to Support Aging in Place. Learn why planning for long-term care is important. We discuss the costs of long-term care and share tools and resources available to help older adults who prefer to stay in their homes.
- Anyone Can Fall. Gain insight on minimizing risks for falls and get tips for preventing falls. We introduce you to evidence-based programs that help prevent falls.
- Preventing Medicare Fraud and Avoiding Scams. Get familiar with examples of Medicare fraud and how to report it. Learn why seniors are targeted for scams, identify the top scams affecting seniors, and obtain tips to prevent being scammed.
- Learn about www.MinnesotaHelp.info. Learn how to navigate the Minnesota-based website to find resources, create directories, save searches and compare services side-by-side. We introduce you to the Long-term Care Choices Navigator.
- Caring for the Caregiver. Learn why identifying as a caregiver is important and how caregiving can impact your health. We share some caregiver resources.
- Senior Surf Day. Take this two-hour class on computer basics. Learn how to navigate and search the Internet and how to know when a website is secure. Get familiar with ways to prevent Medicare fraud.